Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Reflections


Disclaimer: This post was originally written two weeks ago but is getting published only now… sooo some of them might not make sense and most of them may not be presently applicable.


A couple of observations that are specific to the country everyone is oh-so-interested to move to (or visit at some point at least). Some of them I totally concur with and some others I don’t! But remember, no pun intended.

  • The days being longer than the nights, life here runs with a rhythm of its own. It would be Monday today and before you know it’s the weekend. I have never felt the days/weeks pass at this pace before!

  • Coke, Diet Coke, Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, iced tea, flavoured water, and other unmentionable soft drinks all now become “sodas”.

  • Lunch being a battle every single day, now I can clearly comprehend the exact meaning of that lil prayer I used to say every morning in school for 14 years straight… “Give us today our daily bread”. Phew! Vegetarians sure do have a tough time :-/

  • Wake up calls, voice messages, and Din Dins. Dinners were soo much fun ‘cos this is the only meal of the day that I get to cook for myself; especially my favourite food, south Indian! :) Sometimes, all six of us used to get into the kitchen and make elaborate dinners, which would all turn out to be absolutely yummo!

  • I met a few very interesting people here and have come to make a memorable friendship as well, so much so that my angst to get back home sooner, lessened in time. I also came to realize that when you’re that far away from home, you tend to count a LOT on your friends. Damn good reason to stay together I must admit!

  • New York. Undoubtedly, ever-enticing! :)

  • I had a chance to meet a very interesting Blogger friend as well. It was very pleasant to meet you Oracle. :)

  • The locals almost always smile and say a hello to everyone they see. The customary “Hi, how are you?” the “I’m good, how are u?”, and finally the “I’m great, thanks” has a way of getting onto my nerves! No seriously, when you really don’t expect the person to tell you the truth about how he/she really is, or when you don’t care a tinker’s damn yourself, why ask? Honestly, I think that’s very artificial. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s only in my humble opinion. But just so you know, inadvertently, I’m practicing that too during my stint here. :|

  • Flavoured yogurt! Especially the ones with peach… yummooo! Perhaps the single most awaited food every afternoon.

  • Seaside heights, NJ. The sparkling blue-green water, the sun high and sharp, tiny boats tossing lightly farther away in the ocean, the golden speckless sand, women dressed to liberally serve the needs of the men. One amazing trip that will live in my memory longer than me.

More to come. :)

Addendum:
1. I got back on the last Sunday of August to attend my sister’s wedding.
2. The wedding went on very well and I’ve gotten back to the grind again! Thanks for all your prayers. Will try and post something on it soon, while I rub my feet to wear off the tiredness of the 3-day wedding business.
3. Dharma, thank you so much for tagging me. I feel honoured. I'm on it already, but I can't promise you on when it will finally get published. :)

10 comments:

Brecht said...

very interesting list! Welcome back G3 & thanks for taking time out from your busy schedule to publish something for your faithful readers = )

Oracle said...

Great meeting you.

BTW can you pass the location of seaside heights ;)

Devil Mood said...

The things you learn far away from home!...
One thing foreigners say about the portuguese is that when they are asked how they are, they usually say the truth, be it good or bad.

Chandramohan 'CM' Kannan said...

“Hi, how are you?”
“I’m great, thanks”

lol... now tell us all truthfully... where did you disappear for so long... hehehe...

btw... how did ramya's wedding go... I was expecting something about that... and instead what do I get... “I’m good, how are u?”... lol... keep chirping babe...

supernova said...

Was great to see you after so long... Post pics please... :-)

Shankari said...

welcome back!


And do post the pics, pretty please.

Miss Iyer said...

MUSH,

You are ONE amazing and faithful reader :) I'm gonna bow down to you!


ORACLE,

Great meeting you too Oracle :)

I travelled to Seaside Heights from Bridgewater (where I lived) due South (if Im not wrong) for about an hour and a half by car. Its a nice little beach with a lot of activities to keep you busy for the day. The water wasnt too cold cos it was summer then but it rained a bit in the evening :-/


DevilM,

Absolutely! That's nice.. the Portuguese seem to be honest people :)


CM,

Come on.. don't tell me you didn't know. Besides, you've lived in the US longer than anyone I know. You should know better :)

Ramya's wedding went very well. I'll post something on that pretty soon. Meanwhile, they're vacationing at S'pore Malaysia.

Miss Iyer said...

SuperN,

I will Presi. You know how its been since I got back to work. I'm gonna work on the pics and videos possibly this weekend. :)


Shankari,

Thanks :) I will post pics. But which one are you most interested in? The wedding pics or NY/NJ pics? I can assure you, the wedding pics are most colorful! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey G3, great that you are back... and interesting list, and the how are you thingy, hahahah... yes, after awhile, it becomes a habitual statement you make when u go into cafes, restaurants and people on the street, and i will make every attempt to one day reply them, i am not that good today, my doctor said, i have 99 more years to live!!!.... heheheh.. :D

Miss Iyer said...

IDAH,

ehehe :P Send your doctor over here :P Lets se if he gives me a 99 more years.