Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Yip Yip Yip Yip Yippiiiieee!!!

If you knew me from childhood, you’d agree that I could go “Yip Yip Yip Yip Yippiiiieee” at the drop of a hat! But no, this time I’m really elated. And, this is not one of those occasions when, if it rained hard one morning, I’d exclaim “Yip Yip Yip Yip Yippiiiieee, no school today!!” No no! This time I get a chance to show that one paper with scribbled signatures and government stamps all over it, which states that I possess an LLR!!!!

Ok? So what? Does it mean that if I crash my car, I can now claim insurance? Lest my dad hears it, he’ll never let me touch that car again with my fingernail.

Anyway, it was on a Monday after the Deepavali weekend that I decided to go to the RTO to apply for my Learner’s License, and dad’s first words were “Aaha! Today is not a good idea; they’ll expect more money than ever. You’ll get sandwiched between the two festivals, Deepavali and Eid!” But yeah, like I cared about it.

Nonetheless, after spending 40 something minutes in front of the Ashok Nagar RTO gates trying to fill various forms (all of which made little sense to me) I went upstairs and paid Rs. 30 for the application. Once that was over, I found myself standing in front of the Sub-inspector (or so I was told) trying to get him to scribble his name on those dotted lines where it said 'Issuing Authority’s Signature.'

The most amusing part of the whole process was the written test. The test paper is given to you, along with the cheat sheet sitting right in front of you. Psst, they don’t want you to get the idea that in the event of paying 30 bucks you MAY or MAY NOT get an LLR. Luckily for me, the answers were all in numbers (printed in English) which made it easier for me to do away with reading the question paper which was evidently in Tamil. The whole test process was over in 20 seconds. I scored 8 correct answers out of 10 questions after having made 2 intentional mistakes. And Viola, all of a sudden, without having to shell a penny out of my pocket to any of these 40 year old potbelly men, I had the required paper in my hands. So, why didn't I try doing this much earlier? Plain lazinesses!!

Anyway, the LLR is valid for 6 months after which I need to apply for a permanent one. However, after a minimum period of 1 month, I can go ahead and get myself a regular Driving License.

More on my permanent license one month from now! :)

3 comments:

supernova said...

Yip yip yip yip yippieeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! We'll race one month from now! :-D

Miss Iyer said...

eheh, we sure will !!

Ayush Jain said...

Amen!