Wednesday, January 10, 2007

By virtue of being the younger one

I picked up a teeny argument with my sister last evening (obviously for no rhyme or reason what so ever) which finally ended favoring me.

It was then that I figured that being the younger one in the family comes packaged with a lot of advantages. By now, you know that I’m the younger one of the two. [grin]. So, no introductions needed here; just picture a mum, dad, an elder sister, and me of course; now, go on and read the advantages and I’m sure you’ll nod along with each statement (particularly, if you’re a younger one too)

  1. Mum calls you "kutty" or "papa" in Tamil, meaning "little one" or "baby". You don’t think any of that suits the elder sister, do u?


  2. In an argument, you get to win, irrespective of whether the base of the argument has any logical reasoning or not.


  3. If you find yourself under interrogation, and you know you made a mistake, you can make that pout-mouthed-puppy-dog face and get away with it. (Try it, it works miracles).


  4. Whine. Frown. Throw a tantrum. That is ALL you need to do to get your way. Believe me, at 25 it still works for me.


  5. Often, when it comes to new clothes or shoes, mum will tell my elder sis, "Why don’t you let her wear those new pair of slippers this time?" (And not just once, it happens ALL the time :) )


  6. You always have someone’s attention and there are lots of people to take care of you. YOU don’t have to take care of anyone :-D


  7. You get to borrow money off your sister and not feel guilty about it. The best part is you don’t have to bother paying back.


  8. You get to let out a loud squeal and jump into the nearest bed when you spot a tiny creepy crawlie about 40 feet away from you; but still no one would utter a word, in fact your elder sister would take care of it herself.


  9. And lots n lots more…


Supernova, you got anything else to add?

But naturally, you’re the best sister anyone can have Ramya. Love ya!

PS: You can also get away with anything by saying a simple "Love ya"; know what I mean? ;)


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forget younger or elder...from a guy's perspective, all excepting points #1 & 5 (including the PS at the end) holds true for ALL women in general!!

supernova said...

Hee hee hee.. I do have lots to add!!! When in physical fights (yes, sisters also do indulge in physical fights!), almost always, the older one gets yelled at by the parents! When you need to talk to mom or dad about something, you can always make your older sister do it! It kinda ensures that it's given a good hearing to!

Also, much as I hate it, I have to agree with what Allen says! :-/ Whining works with any loved one, every time! Whine, shed a few measly tears, and voilà, our will is done! :-D

dharmabum said...

i know exactly what u're saying, for i'm on the receiving end.

but as much as i disliked it as a kid, my belief in one thing is strengthening by the day - that lil sisters are one of god's greatest gifts!

Chandramohan 'CM' Kannan said...

Love them - there is a problem!!!
Hate them - there is a problem!!!
Ignore them - boy!!! you are in a mess!!!

My lill sis... demands attention!!!

Miss Iyer said...

Allen,

Is that right? umm, maybe, but often, I enjoy most of these only with my older sister. :)


Supernova,

How could I have forgotten about the fights!?! :-/ They get yelled at by the parents while we sheepishly watch it with that unmistakable grin on our face. :)

Dharma and CM,

As much as I love waking up every morning to see new comments on my blog, this time, I should mention that I'm delighted to hear that despite all the mess the lille ones cause, you guys still love your sisters :)

Like I said, its easier to forgive them. ;)

Ramya said...

Oh boy! U bet that each of this is Perfect.

For sure all these are ok/manageable for G is always bubbly and keeps giggling away.

All troubles / tension is lost when i See her every morning :)

Sweet sis :)

Miss Iyer said...

I knw, eheheeh, I hope i keep giggling and stay bubbly for as long as i can :)