Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Nostalgic Factory!


In an attempt to try and recover from this, and taking advantage of the same, I’m using bits and pieces of words to come up with this list. I’m gonna apologize in advance to those of you that aren’t an ex-colleague or a bum pal of mine, since most of this may not make sense to some of you.

Some of them cherished, some of them bitter-sweet, glad that I stopped with good memories. I’m sorry it’s a long list, but the memory traces back to 6 years or so; I just couldn’t help but list out the things closest to my heart…

  1. Office pantry – 3 guys, 3 girls, the war of the sexes, albeit a pleasant one and mostly the girls winning over the guys by simply calling it quits. :-P You might think that’s lame, but you’ve gotta be one of us to get what I’m saying! :)

  2. The Dal Roti bill dated 18/5/2006 neatly folded and tucked away in my purse. Probably the last time I had dinner there.

  3. Hot afternoons, “Nature Fresh”, countless watermelon juices, Strawberry milkshakes, and chocolate milkshakes; need no explanation. (Should I add the pani puri I hated to take?)

  4. Afternoon walks!

  5. 10:30 AM, office pantry, tea time, Nitin says “I’m bored, I wanna go home.”

  6. 3:30 PM, office pantry, tea time, Nitin says “I’m bored, I wanna go home.” :) That guy always wanted to leave from work as soon as he’d get in.

  7. 1:00 AM — office conference room, two people around the conference table, one of them quietly working/browsing (waiting for the office cab), me on a conference call.

  8. Alternate working Saturdays, 20 of us, lunches at a restaurant.

  9. Day offs when I was sick at home, friends dropping by with breakfast, lunch and dinner. Of sweet surprises! I wish I were sick more often. :-/

  10. 11:00 PM, frenzied fingers fighting over the mobile phone buttons, sending SMS.

  11. Paying bills, finding a home by myself, getting LPG connection [grin], unlocking the doors to my home by myself (I loathed doing this), paying rent, managing expenses/budgets, endless futile walks to the BSNL telephone company for the broadband connection I never acquired.

  12. Awful office food, hungry afternoons, a Woody’s dosa and strawberry milk! :D (self-explanatory)

  13. Yahoo messenger, cyber hugs in indecipherable Mandarin Chinese which later turned out to be the official language of cyber hugs, cyber kisses, and all things lovey dovey! Thanks to “you-know-who-you-are” :)

  14. 6:00 PM, office TV room, two pairs of hands absently typing away on our respective laptops, F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

  15. 6:30 PM, office TV room, Seinfeld.

  16. An electricity bill receipt dated 17/2/2006, again tucked away in my purse to keep reminding me of that snug little place I stayed in for a brief 5 months.

  17. Snickers, snickers, and more snickers. I was just insatiable (then) and miraculously, his pocket would have enough money for them every single time. :)

  18. Lunch at the office terrace, Sandy the scapegoat! Fun unlimited!

  19. Sometime in May last year, basement bike park bye-byes and promises that eventually broke!

  20. Alternate working Saturdays, me coyly trying to get permission from parents to spend those hot summer evenings at Besant Nagar beach with two half-wits (friends that happened to me) that I’m grateful for even to this day!

  21. Two girls hopelessly oblivious to the world around them, chatting, giggling, and sharing the week's events while gracing Brigade road by foot, eVeRy SiNgLe WeEkEnD. Actually, I can’t seem to think of a single weekend that I didn’t follow that norm! Miss Punctual here would ensure I showed up!

  22. V-factor and W-factor. It has been a little close to 3 years now and I still am clueless on what they mean, but I know it included Big B, Nitin, and me in some form. Any clues guys?

  23. June 8th 2006, office terrace, two hung heads, an unspeakable truth, a tearful goodbye.

  24. The second Saturday of September, Madras Boat Club, two pairs’ boats, two fours’ boats, more than half a dozen corporate crews (of at least 15 oarsmen and oarswomen in each crew), 6:00 AM, sweaty and stinky from the land workout, squinting our eyes from the morning sun, the half-broken raft taking in more sunburnt stomping legs than it can accommodate, threatening to sink any moment; frenzied fervor of the M&B semi-final races! I miss them tonnnnnnnneeess! In fact I rather liked the knock-outs and semi’s more than the finals itself.

  25. The second Saturday of September, 4:00 PM, the Madras Boat Club filled with club members, hopeful friends, parents, media, the works; Men’s Fours finals, the race starts under the bridge, four men rowers, one woman coxswain, feverishly praying that we take the opponent. Of sweet success! :) I think I did justice by mentioning the M&B as a grand finale, didn’t I? ;)

Phew! That was some list! And if you thought this one was long, I think I’ll still have more to add even moments after I post it. Sorry about the long sentence construct in most of them. Remember I'm still suffering from this? ;)

And oh, thanks for your patience. I feel like a river of memoirs has just flown out of me.



14 comments:

Aditi said...

all sweet

Anonymous said...

...and i can guess who sparked this post off!

#3, 4, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17 & 19 (14 & 15 being my favs ;-D)... Did I miss any out??

Chandramohan 'CM' Kannan said...

you call that a river??? I would call that an ocean :)

and for heaven's sake please tell me, nay explain to me, nay enlighten me - why is this blog labeled "Love"??? :)

What's cooking babe ;) hahahaha

A said...

I've to come back later to read your diary.

supernova said...

:-D What can I say! The pantry, Brigade Road, lunch time; all some of the best moments ever!

About the V and W factor, well, I remember exactly what it was about, but I'd rather not explain it here! :-/

deepthi vinod said...

phew u actually wrote all this,so no more writers block as CM metnioned...and i agree it is a vast ocean of thoughts...when u commin to hyd??? woody's and the bolls.ditto when i was in bang for 2 years....i got a net cnxn finally however had to pay hefty bills lol

Idah's Family Bluez said...

G3, you made me walk down my memory lane... wow!!! and boy, what a lane it was..heheheh...

mid-week crisis too??
i will now hold a blog club for those who need fagging and beer while talking to bartender Idah!

Anonymous said...

M&B grand finale! Yay, thats a moment to cherish, COX.

And if only 'em oarsmen n women followed the tradition, you the COX would have be slam dunked into the dark River of Stench. As luck you have it, you escaped.

Here's a related pic :
http://geocities.com/muthuonthenet/rowing/mens4s_boat.jpg

Prakaz said...

First of all.. I cant believe i actually read 80% of this post! :-)

Nostalgia's hit me now... miss you too :-(

Rims said...

This was a pretty sweet post and it seems you aree out of ur illness :-D
true I could only relate to 11. I have gone thru this 3 times...3 cities :-( but me enjoying it anyways :-P

dharmabum said...

dal roti? is that the anna nagar place? its closed now, sadly :(

and how canu not like pani puri. seriyana wastu pa nee :)

u remember so much, its quite amazing. had met up with this college friend for christmas last year. we went on and on about this or that incident or event and i couldn't recall one single thing. not sure if its a good thing or bad though!

Miss Iyer said...

To all those that's left a comment here, thanks much for your patience. Bobby, SuperN, and Prakaz... I miss you all too. As weird as this may sound, I wish I could re-live those moments. :|


ADITI,

Thanks :)


BOBBY,

Of course you do! Nah, I don't think you missed out any. I actually thought you'd come up with a few more from your experiences.


CM,

I'm pretty sure its a river, you have no idea how many more are there under the waves of my ocean ;)

There's a reason behind it being labeled 'Love' (although there really need no reason to label any post as 'love'). But anyway, for the most part, most of 'em have been cherished moments, moments I loved, savored, relished, except a few heart-breaking ones :D Thats y the label 'love'.

And no CM, nothing's cooking!


ANNITYA,

What am I supposed to take it as? :-/ But hey, thanks for visiting.

Miss Iyer said...

SuperN,

Right! :) Ooh, thanks for reminding me what they really meant. :D Fun days those were! :)


DEEPTHI,

No writer's block? Are you sure? I just re-read it and I don't seem to understand a thing :-P the reason why I thanked all of you just in my previous comment.

No plans of coming to Hyd yet Deepthi. What with my sister's wedding and all that coming in the next few months, I don't think I'll be visiting any place for that matter. But you could come down to Chennai. I'd send you a personal wedding invite. ;)


IDAH,

You're welcome ;) A blog club? Count me in!


MUTHU,

Grand finale it is! Actually, if you guys wanted to, you could have dunked me into the river (remember I was only 40 something kg's then ;-)). Oh and thanks for the pic, brought back some wonderful memories. :)

Miss Iyer said...

PRAKAZ,

:|


RIMS,

Thanks :) I think its good to do it once at least, moving out of home that is!


DHARMA,

No, not the one in anna ngr. This one's in Bangalore, very close to my office and we'd frequent it almost every night. Oh, and about panupuri, this is like MW flashback, my friends back there would also say "seriyana wastu pa nee" :-D

Yep, I do. I think there are advantages and disadvantages. Like there are certain things in certain periods of my life that I can't seem to forget however hard I try to :-/ Maybe that way u're lucky.