Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Lessons Learnt!



About three months ago, I had promised to write a review of Khaled Hosseini’s The Kite Runner (the book was a birthday gift from my friends, last year). I read the book AGAIN last weekend, and this time after reading, I’m getting the feeling that I’m not qualified enough to write a review about a masterpiece that is The Kite Runner.

So I thought that I should maybe enumerate the lessons I learnt from this book; although I should mention that each time I read it, I get a different idea blooming from the same passage; from the same experience; from the same course of events that has been passed on to the reader.

Here goes:

  1. One should take time to stop and listen to one’s dreams (or nightmares); analyze them maybe. If you sat still and listened to what they are conveying, it may tell you a great deal about yourself and about what others think of you.


  2. Whilst chasing your dreams, do not forget the ones that helped you race with it, or the ones that raced at it WITH you just so YOU could reach it. Not because some day you might need their help again; but simply out of gratitude!


  3. Indulge in all possible childhood pranks when you can; pick mulberries, chase butterflies, climb trees, hang from branches, make paper boats, get your knees dirty; the works! Chances are, you may not be able to do any of those later.


  4. Love in a way that no one ever had or ever would again!


  5. Don’t run into guilt trips too often. If you do, set a deadline for it, an upper threshold and then…let go.


  6. “Perspective is a luxury when your mind is constantly buzzing with a swarm of demons” — in the words of the author himself. I don’t think it needs any explanation. Just think about it.


  7. Give yourself a good cry if it makes you feel better. It’s ok to spend a few tearful minutes with a good friend. And NO, you’re not being selfish. Believe me, it will help take that pounding off your head.


  8. Be loyal; it pays. The mask you’re wearing is gonna wear-off sooner or later.


  9. Stop with good memories. Save them; a photograph, a hand-written letter, a tape-recorded voice; all heals.


  10. When you forgive, it takes away the weight of the world from your shoulders and leaves the person that has just been forgiven, helpless, instead!!! Better yet, learn to forgive when it’s the toughest to.


  11. Think twice before you say or do something; it may hurt. But of course, you wouldn’t know it unless you're on the receiving end, would you?


  12. If you know you can be of assistance to someone in some way, and if you know that this is the right time, do it. It may be too late by the time you think you’ll do it another time.


  13. What you learn at school is not education! It is what you learn from experience every single day that makes you a better person (although this is not the first book I read that’s telling me this).


To think the author could say all this and more through the mouths of two children barely in their teens, from Afghan... itself is fantabulous!

Excellent plot, and very well played with emotions; a novel about friendship and loyalty. I’m trying hard not to write a review here guys, so go on and read the book. Or better yet, come to me, I may surprise myself by lending it to you sometime. ;)

I’d say it’s a must read for each one of us!

9 comments:

dharmabum said...

i don't believe it.

my colleague gave me this book, and asked me to read it - THIS MORNING.

Srivilasica said...

Don't know about the book, but the list of things you learnt seem startlingly similar to the one I made up in the first week of this year! Eerie!

Anonymous said...

Hi G3, Idah (one of my closest & dearest girlfriend) recommended me this book. These days its almost impossible for me to sit down and read, but this book got me from page one, i made every free second to read it, even in between cutting vegetables for dinner = )It moved me in ways so dramatic and emotional, i was stunned that i finished reading it and stunned at the way the writer has beautifully & tragically reach out to his reader!

Anonymous said...

hi,

I cried so much reading this book.... one of the best books i've read after Dean Koontz Odd Thomas!

take care....

Miss Iyer said...

DHARMA,

I cant agree more with your friend. :) Once your done reading, do let me know how you found the experience.

Miss Iyer said...

SOWHATS,

How intense. To think you havent read that book but could make up a list like that; very nice. :)

So was it like a new year resolution? If it was, have you been able to follow them diligently? 'Cause, I find it difficult to follow even one of them each day :-/

Thanks for stopping by! :)

supernova said...

This book is, without a doubt, one of the very best I've ever read... I think I've read it three times over already. :-)

Miss Iyer said...

MUSH,

I'm glad you could make an effort to find time for it. I'm sure you didnt regret it :)

Apologies for not reverting to you on that email :-| Will write to you soon!

IDAH,

Glad the book moved you. I'm already trying to get a first peek of the Dean Koontz book you've mentioned.

You too take care

dharmabum said...

agree with my friend? u mean that i shud read it? i wil, and let u know (no reviews though - i just completely lack the competency!)

what i meant was, the coincidence, my getting de book and y writing a review :)