Thursday, November 30, 2006

7 Boys and a Pizza Hut

Last weekend, I had dinner at Pizza Hut. It had been a long time since I had had pizzas and it was perfect timing since my parents were not at home that evening and I didn’t bother to make dinner by myself. Since it was a Sunday, the T-Nagar Pizza Hut exceeded its seating limits and I found a few people sitting outside waiting for their table. There were four, 11-year old boys sitting outside in those miniature chairs that look like the chairs kept outside dental clinics, quietly talking to each other. I was under the impression that their parents, or whoever they came along with, are inside Witco the shop beside Pizza Hut doing some window shopping. Pretty evidently, these four kids could not be less interested in window shopping; they were fine by themselves outside Pizza Hut eagerly waiting for dinner.

A couple of minutes went by and as soon as a few diners left the place, these children were ushered in. They promptly sat down in a table for four, and immediately ensured another table for four is reserved as well. Curiosity got the better of me; here I am wondering “Whatever happened to the parents? Why aren’t they here yet?” When all of a sudden, three more 11-year olds pushed past me and ran in.

By now, you should know that for the remainder of my meal, I was observing these seven children (all boys) not caring less to what is happening at my table. They deftly ordered seven pan pizzas, all with different toppings and no sodas! As it goes for every big crowd, the waiter took his time in bringing the meal (seven pizzas IS a big order). In a little while, the impatient children started asking each other about when their pizzas are gonna arrive. And when they did arrive, unlike us, they continued their chitter-chatter even while eating. Now, I don’t have to tell you what will happen to us when the food arrives, we’ll royally ignore the others at the table, stop all conversation and concentrate only on what is right in front of us! [grin]

After their meal ended with ice cream for dessert, they talked a little more about how disgracefully India lost the match (which they just about picked up from the news on the TV in Pizza Hut) and started throwing opinions on each of the players (which I enjoyed the most). When dinner was done, one of them bigger boys paid for the bill by cash and carefully counted the balance money. When they left, each one ensured to ring the bell that said “Ring bell if you enjoyed!

But of course, the whole time, my sister was trying to have a conversation with me, and she finally realised, I wasn’t even listening to her.

The thought of how children go out by themselves and eat whatever they feel like surprised me. When I was 11, we would hardly go out for dinner, and even if we did, I’d need my mom to pick my food for me. Serious! I wouldn’t know what to order and eat. Not that I felt embarrassed looking at these children, but all of a sudden, I was speculating if my children would be going out by themselves when they are 7, or maybe 6 years old? Ahem!!!

2 comments:

Chandramohan 'CM' Kannan said...

Wow!!! Impressive!!! Amusing!!!
On two accounts...
1. you have the patience to eves drop on a table beside you, and enjoy their conversaton, as though you were a part of it...
2. funny part being, you complain about not conversing on the food table and let your poor sister's babble nay sound-bytes go wasted :)

lol... I liked the your children part though... Ahem!!!

Miss Iyer said...

lol, thanks CM