Thursday, November 23, 2006

Of Horlicks and Rasam Rice

Whoever said “all of a sudden I went down with temperature” must be a lot like me. Because, believe me, I never know that I am falling sick until I’m almost half way through with it. Even when my mother sticks that much predictable thermometer under my tongue, removes it, narrows her eyes, and makes that “tch tch” noise, I still wouldn’t know that I am sick.

Not until she tells me with that perfectly guileless expression;

I’ll fetch you a glass of Horlicks” What? At an unearthly 2:00 AM??

Notice, no “would you like to have a glass of …

Or

Will you drink a glass of …

No! It’s a simple statement!!!

Mom: “I’ll fetch you a glass of Horlicks
Me: “Horlicks? Maybe” Do I have a choice?
Mom: “Without milk?” Alright NOW I have a choice, with or without milk; like I cared a tinker’s damn if a glass of water from our infamous Adyar river went through my wind pipe at that hour!

And then, if I still chose to be stupid and said “Nah! I don’t have fever.” Then comes the inevitable Rasam rice. It’s almost like the “meal for the ill.” For all the times I’ve ignored the rasam rice, this is how it avenges.

That is why sometimes I think that I was keeping better off when I was staying away from home for a brief seven months. Not that I didn’t fall sick, I DID. But well, by virtue of doing what pleases me, I have stayed away from Horlicks AND rasam rice!

As much as I loved it when my pals stopped by to see if I was doing ok, it sure is easier to kick them out if they behaved like my mom, is it not? Thankfully enough, none of them behaved that way.

So what pleased me? Making my own grub when I was unwell? Nah! At most, I’ll make Bournvita. Now you’d say “what? You drink Bournvita? Euuuww!

Well! Try the Horlicks (without milk)!

3 comments:

supernova said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
supernova said...

I so vehemently hate Horlicks!!! I wonder why it has become a drink for the ill!!!

Miss Iyer said...

Me neither! :|