Monday, November 13, 2006

Blogger Beta

I have started blogging only for three weeks now and it is wonderful to have discovered that I can now move my page to Google’s Blogger Beta. Much like all other Beta’s, it has its own hiccups, but there are loads of stuffs that no-good coders like me can make use of.

For a start, you don’t have to wait for eons for your post to get published. I have less than 20 posts online, and if I am saying that I have to wait for eons, you can imagine how impatient a woman I am. The time it takes to publish your post, depends on the size of your blog, and if you have a large one it makes matters even worse. Anyway, now with Blogger Beta, all you have to do is, write your post, and hit on the “Publish” button, and ta da your post is online in less than a few seconds.

But first things first, you need to use your Gmail account to sign in and move to Blogger Beta. Don’t have one? You need to create one! That’s one of the most admirable promotional efforts I’ve seen with Google. Any webpage associated with Google, needs you to access it using a Gmail account. Remarkable, ain’t it?

On the eBlogger home page, you need only click on the link that says, “Switch to Blogger Beta” and you can simply enter your Gmail account to sign-in.

This is how my Dashboard looked like, as soon as I moved my blog:



Under “Layout”, there is a whole new tab that says “Page Elements”. You can include, remove, and edit practically any part of your Blog by simply clicking on the appropriate Page Element. Here’s the best bit; you can also move the page elements around, the way you want them to arrange, add header, footer et al. ALL this, without having to touch any messy HTML code! Seriously!!


This is how I can now arrange my archives on the LHS:

Know what I mean?

Fiddle around, change fonts and colors, click on Save, and refresh you blog… all changes updated within a matter of seconds. No re-publishing and looking at that silly sun-like figure, showing the percentage of your changes in progress.

Starting November 8th, all new sign-ups are being created on the new version of Blogger in Beta. Check out its new features here.

I’m still fiddling around with it and if you encounter any problems/bugs with Blogger Beta, you can report via the Contact Form.

Happy Blogging!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the name of your blog inspired from the Evanescence song, 'Imaginary', the lyrics of which are featured in your left nav?

Woof! (Who am I?)

Miss Iyer said...

Yes it is!

supernova said...

Already switched!!! (Over the weekend :-))

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I think the beta version provides lesser options for people who wants to better position Google Ads on the pages.

Miss Iyer said...

Yeah I guess so. I've been facing trouble with my new posts as well!

Dr. Look n Feel Good said...

g3! welcome to the blogOsphere! :)

Anonymous said...

Gayathri: Ms Iyer...you could be somebody I know. I checked your blog and found links to people I have known for years. Have you seen me in any of the offices that you have worked in? Like the Waste Management Corporation, Sewage Custodians, Lighthouse Blub Cleaners Incorporated?

@ "Looks a lot like you know more about women than any of us do about ourselves."

I don't really want to be seen as a brag-ster because in 2028 I am contesting for elections. No comments. ;-)

Miss Iyer said...

LOL, Yeah I worked in Sify. I was with the "Write Shit for e-Learning" team. :-D

And the reason I know a lot of ppl from the Creative team is cos I was rowing for Sify during 2002 and 2003.

And don't you worry about the elections, I could take up some special campaigning for ya!

Miss Iyer said...

Thanks Muthu! :)